Traumatic events confront human beings with the extremities of helplessness and terror, disrupting the ordinary systems of care that afford us a sense of control, connection, and meaning (Herman, 1992). The importance of evaluating the effects of trauma is critical, and has substantial implications for case-formulation and treatment planning in therapy (Cloitre, et al., 2009). Therefore, before mental health practitioners can work in depth with a client’s trauma they need an understanding of what trauma is and how to engage with it safely. This two-day workshop will look at those initial requirements.
- Understand the key components of psychological trauma
- Be able to identify the many sources of trauma
- Know the difference between developmental trauma and traumatic injury
- Recognise the many symptoms of trauma
- Have a good understanding of the physiology of the brain and its role in trauma
- Understand the reaction of trauma clients
- Recognise the body’s role in trauma and use some basic body-orientated techniques to help the body do this safely
- Appreciate the immediate & long-term effects of PTSD
- Be introduced to why talking therapies may not help in this initial stage of trauma work
- Start to work with establishing safety through resourcing & boundary setting
- Understand the concept of the ‘window of tolerance’ and its importance
- Understand the “three trauma types” of clients and the implications for therapy
There are two intakes of this course running in 2018.
- November Intake: Thursday 01 November and Thursday 08 November
9:30am – 4:30pm
Who Should Apply:
- This workshop is for mental health practitioners interested in learning more about the subject area.
- Certificate of Attendance and Participation
- CPD: 12 hours
- €180.00 (15% discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors: €153.00)
You have the option of either applying online through our online application form or else by downloading an application form and sending it along with your payment to the IICP office.
||DOWNLOAD (OFFLINE) APPLICATION
- To apply and pay online, simply click the below button and complete the online application form.
- Click the below button to download an application form.
- Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org