The value of mindfulness in therapy has been espoused by such figures as Dr Tony Bates, a former principal clinical psychologist at St James’s Hospital and Dr Jon Kabat Zinn, founder and director of the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Centre.
Mindfulness is increasingly recognised as a valuable intervention in counselling internationally. In the field of medicine, more Irish doctors now recommend mindfulness to patients. Millions of people around the world practice mindfulness to enhance their experience of living. Put simply, mindfulness involves continually returning your awareness to your present-moment stream of experience in a non-judgmental way. This very simple approach, though at odds with our normal way of thinking, can be very helpful to people suffering loss, anxiety, stress, depression and other aspects of the human condition
- Definitions and purpose of mindfulness.
- Exploration of the use of mindfulness with clients.
- Exploration of the use of mindfulness in your own life.
- Consideration of the scope and limitations of mindfulness as a therapeutic tool.
- Opportunities to role-play in triads as therapist, client and observer using participants’ own case work.
- Opportunities to practice mindfulness during the course days and guidelines for practice at other times.
- An introduction to the basics of Buddhist psychology from which mindfulness emerged.
- Understanding how Buddhist psychology ‘fits’ with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and other Western approaches.
Who is this Course for?
This course is intended for therapists, mental health practitioners and for those professionals who would like to add mindfulness to the range of clinical interventions available to them. Additionally, it is ideal for those who would like to use mindfulness in their own lives. Participants will gain a rewarding life skill and a valuable tool for intervention.
The core ethos of IICP is to provide a student-centred, warm and supportive learning environment. The programme is highly interactive, experiential and taught through lectures, small group work and role-plays.
Online Classroom Delivery
Our online classes are run as tutorials, that involve students and their lecturer logging into our online portal Zoom™ simultaneously.
Zoom™ provides and integrative online environment for students and Lecturers to interact and engage in the learning. This platform facilitates discussion polls, sharing of slides, videos resources and much, much more.
To foster more intimate learning environments the use of breakout rooms is also implemented, allowing for the safe and experiential triadic learning practice that we have found so successful.
All of our sessions are accessible through computer and mobile devices and we have a structured and robust technology department to support all faculty and students through their online learning journey. To encourage flexibility, and ss best practice, we also record all our sessions, these are made accessible only to the students in that class to review content whenever is convenient to them!
- This course will be of interest to professionals and volunteers who work with clients in counselling or mental health services in general.
- IICP college will issue a certificate of Mindfulness to those who complete this workshop.
- CPD: 18 hours
- €295.00 (costs are inclusive of training, materials and a free Mindfulness CD).
- IICP Education and Training will offer this course in online format, a link to our IICP Zoom class will be sent to you prior to the class start
Please note due to the current Covid -19 restrictions, our office team are working remotely. Therefore we would encourage you to apply online for speedy process of your application. Should you have any questions in relation to making your online application please contact Triona on 086-0499154.
Simply click the below button to be brought to our online application process. When prompted, please select ‘Long Term CPD’, then select ‘Professional certificate in the Professional Use of Mindfulness” and complete the form.