Traumatic events confront human beings with the extremities of helplessness and terror, disrupting the ordinary systems of care that afford us a sense of control, connection, and meaning (Herman, 1992). The importance of evaluating the effects of trauma is critical and has substantial implications for case-formulation and treatment planning in therapy (Cloitre, et al., 2009). Therefore, before mental health practitioners can work in depth with a client’s trauma they need an understanding of what trauma is and how to engage with it safely. This two-day workshop will look at those initial requirements.
- Understand the key components of psychological trauma
- Be able to identify the many sources of trauma
- Know the difference between developmental trauma and traumatic injury
- Recognise the many symptoms of trauma
- Have a good understanding of the physiology of the brain and its role in trauma
- Understand the reaction of trauma clients
- Recognise the body’s role in trauma and use some basic body-orientated techniques to help the body do this safely
- Appreciate the immediate & long-term effects of PTSD
- Be introduced to why talking therapies may not help in this initial stage of trauma work
- Start to work with establishing safety through resourcing & boundary setting
- Understand the concept of the ‘window of tolerance’ and its importance
- Understand the “three trauma types” of clients and the implications for therapy
- Thursday, 01 October and Thursday, 08 October 2020 – 9:30am – 4:30pm
Who Should Apply:
- This workshop is for mental health practitioners interested in learning more about the subject area.
- The college will issue a certificate of attendance to those who take this workshop.
- CPD: 12 hours
- €180.00 (15% discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors: €153.00)
- This workshop will take place online, using a software called Zoom. Participants will be sent a link to join the online platform before the course commences.
Please note due to the current Covid -19 restrictions, our office team are working remotely. Therefore we would encourage you to apply online for speedy process of your application. Should you have any questions in relation to making your online application please contact Triona on 086-0499154.
||DOWNLOAD (OFFLINE) APPLICATION
- Simply click the below button to be brought to our online application process. When prompted, please select ‘CPD courses Short Term’, then select ‘Two-Day Workshop on Understanding Trauma’.
- Click the below button to download an application form.
- Email the completed application form to email@example.com