Two-Day Online Workshop on Understanding Trauma
Comprehensive workshop providing a thorough understanding of what trauma is and how to engage with it safely
Certification: IICP will issue a CPD Certificate of Attendance. CPD: 12 hours
Cost: €180.00 (Reduced rate for IICP Students /Alumni and VCS Counsellors: €153.00)
October Intake: Thursday, 01 October and Thursday, 08 October 2020
Time: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Apply: Click Here to Apply Online
Traumatic events confront human beings with the extremities of helplessness and terror, disrupting the ordinary systems of care that afford us a sense of control, connection, and meaning (Herman, 1992). The importance of evaluating the effects of trauma is critical and has substantial implications for case-formulation and treatment planning in therapy (Cloitre, et al., 2009). Therefore, before mental health practitioners can work in depth with a client’s trauma they need an understanding of what trauma is and how to engage with it safely. This two-day workshop will look at those initial requirements.
- Understand the key components of psychological trauma
- Be able to identify the many sources of trauma
- Know the difference between developmental trauma and traumatic injury
- Recognise the many symptoms of trauma
- Have a good understanding of the physiology of the brain and its role in trauma
- Understand the reaction of trauma clients
- Recognise the body’s role in trauma and use some basic body-orientated techniques to help the body do this safely
- Appreciate the immediate & long-term effects of PTSD
- Be introduced to why talking therapies may not help in this initial stage of trauma work
- Start to work with establishing safety through resourcing & boundary setting
- Understand the concept of the ‘window of tolerance’ and its importance
- Understand the “three trauma types” of clients and the implications for therapy
- Thursday, 01 October and Thursday, 08 October 2020 – 9:30am – 4:30pm
Who Should Apply:
- This workshop is for mental health practitioners interested in learning more about the subject area.
- The college will issue a certificate of attendance to those who take this workshop.
- CPD: 12 hours
- €180.00 (15% discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors: €153.00)
- This workshop will take place online, using a software called Zoom. Participants will be sent a link to join the online platform before the course commences.
Please note due to the current Covid -19 restrictions, our office team are working remotely. Therefore we would encourage you to apply online for speedy process of your application. Should you have any questions in relation to making your online application please contact Triona on 086-0499154.
|ONLINE APPLICATION||DOWNLOAD (OFFLINE) APPLICATION|
If you have any trouble at any stage of the application please click here to get in touch and we will be happy to help.
Why attend this CPD Course?
Past attendees have described workshop structure, content and delivery as outstanding.
Helps practitioners to identify the many symptoms of trauma.
Understand the key components of psychological trauma with clients.
Hugely popular course with participants consistently providing positive feedback.
Excellent facilitator – hugely knowledgeable, engaging and dynamic.