Introduction to LGBT+ culture and client needs in psychotherapy, current estimates place the LGBT+ population of Ireland between 4%-10%, and it is said that LGBT+ clients are more likely to engage in therapy (McLeod, 2013; McCann & Sharek, 2014).
Therefore, it is likely as therapists we will eventually find ourselves working with a client from the LGBT+ community.
As a therapist, do we feel confident that we are meeting the needs of LGBT+ clients? Every culture has its own set of rules, nuances and even language. While we might be interested in understanding the different terminology, sexualities and genders associated with the LGBT+ culture, it is not always easy to ask about another person’s culture without a fear of potentially causing offence.
Areas covered in this workshop will include an introduction to the following topics:
• LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) culture
• Sexual and Gender identities
• Increased confidence in using gender neutral pronouns
• Global and Irish public attitudes towards the LGBT+ community
• Issues specific to LGBT+ clients
• An increased awareness and understanding of how homophobia, biphobia and transphobia impacts LGBT+ clients mental health
- Saturday 5th September 2020, 9:30am – 4:30pm
Who Should Apply:
- This course will be of interest to professionals and volunteers who work, or potentially will work, with LGBT+ clients in counselling or mental health services in general.
- The college will issue a certificate of attendance to those who take this workshop.
- CPD: 6 hours
- €95.00 (15% Discount for IICP Students/ Alumni and VCS Counsellors)
- This course is part of IICP’s Summer Series and eligible for our 3 for 2 offer so book any two summer series workshops and get a third one free!
- Note: The discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors cannot be used in conjunction with the 3 for 2 offer.
- This workshop will take place online, using a software called Zoom. Participants will be sent a link to join the online platform before the course commences.
You have the option of either applying online through our online application form or else by downloading an application form and sending it along with your payment to the IICP office.
||DOWNLOAD (OFFLINE) APPLICATION
- To apply and pay online, simply click the below button and complete the online application form.
- Click the below button to download an application form.
- Email the completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org