Introduction to LGBT+ culture and client needs in psychotherapy, current estimates place the LGBT+ population of Ireland between 4%-10%, and it is said that LGBT+ clients are more likely to engage in therapy (McLeod, 2013; McCann & Sharek, 2014).
Therefore, it is likely as therapists we will eventually find ourselves working with a client from the LGBT+ community.
As a therapist, do we feel confident that we are meeting the needs of LGBT+ clients? Every culture has its own set of rules, nuances and even language. While we might be interested in understanding the different terminology, sexualities and genders associated with the LGBT+ culture, it is not always easy to ask about another person’s culture without a fear of potentially causing offence.
Areas covered in this workshop will include an introduction to the following topics:
• LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) culture
• Sexual and Gender identities
• Increased confidence in using gender neutral pronouns
• Global and Irish public attitudes towards the LGBT+ community
• Issues specific to LGBT+ clients
• An increased awareness and understanding of how homophobia, biphobia and transphobia impacts LGBT+ clients mental health
- Saturday 5th September 2020, 9:30am – 4:30pm
Who Should Apply:
- This course will be of interest to professionals and volunteers who work, or potentially will work, with LGBT+ clients in counselling or mental health services in general.
- The college will issue a certificate of attendance to those who take this workshop.
- CPD: 6 hours
- €95.00 (15% Discount for IICP Students/ Alumni and VCS Counsellors)
- This course is part of IICP’s Summer Series and eligible for our 3 for 2 offer so book any two summer series workshops and get a third one free!
- Note: The discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors cannot be used in conjunction with the 3 for 2 offer.
- This workshop will take place online, using a software called Zoom. Participants will be sent a link to join the online platform before the course commences.
This course is now complete.