Blended Learning Programme
CPD Certificate in Trauma Informed Therapy
Award: IICP College will issue a CPD Certificate in Trauma Informed Therapy [a college certificate of credits will also be issued for those who complete the assignment].
- Cost: €705.00. Deposit of €211.50 is required to secure place.
Attendance Options: Friday or Block weekend. You choose one option and can view the full schedules under the course structure tab.
Duration: 28 hours class contact time, plus additional self-directed learning. SDL is decided at learners’ own discretion. SDL can include time spent preparing for classes and deliberate practice with peers. Learners who also wish to obtain the college certificate of credits will be required to write the assignment, and so SDL would apply here also.
Rationale for Trauma Informed Therapy
A recent national study into Trauma, PTSD and complex PTSD in the Republic of Ireland found that 82.3% of respondence had lifetime exposure to one or more traumatic events, with almost 68% reporting two or more traumatic events (Hyland et al, 2021). Likewise, in a global context, research has indicated that 70% of people have been exposed to a traumatic event (Benjet et al, 2015). The overwhelming evidence of the ubiquitous nature of trauma exposure tells us that mental help professionals need to be trauma informed.
Trauma informed therapy is a way of working with clients that recognises how traumatic experiences can impact on all domains of being across human development, including behavioural, physical, mental, emotional, spiritual. Trauma can impact relational styles, attachment styles, and both family systems and social structures, through the influences of culture and the environment. At the same time, human beings experience complex intrapersonal and interpersonal relational dynamics, childhood difficulties, as well as sociocultural and economic disadvantages that are problematic, but which are not traumatising. Therefore, the objective in training in Trauma Informed Practices is to understand what trauma is, and what it is not. The purpose of the IICP College Trauma Informed module is to support learners in increasing their understanding of trauma through theoretical knowledge, practice based experiential exercises, and group work.
Applicants will hold a Level 8 Degree in the helping professions (counselling, psychotherapy, social care, social work, psychology, psych nursing, mental health, addiction etc.). Those who hold a Level 7 Degree in the helping professions, plus appropriate relevant work experience may be eligible to apply under RPL.
Aims and Objectives for the Trauma Informed Therapy Certificate
The aim is to help learners develop and evidence the ability to:
- Critically evaluate the scientific research into trauma, adverse childhood experiences and trauma informed therapy;
- Demonstrate a multi-disciplinary perspective of trauma, including physiology, psychology, neurobiology and sociological perspectives;
- Conduct a trauma informed assessment in simulated practice under faculty supervision;
- Critically consider the impact of social and cultural factors on trauma, and how this applies to clinical work; and
- Evaluate the clinical implications of working with trauma in psychotherapy.
The indicative content for the module supports the evidencing of the learning outcomes and includes:
- Prevalence & incidence of trauma
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
- Physical, psychological and social impact of trauma
- Neurobiology of exposure to trauma
- Challenges faced by those with history of trauma
- Evidence & trauma informed practice
- Intergenerational Trauma
- Phases of therapy with Trauma
- Clinical implications of working with trauma
- Recognising signs and symptoms of trauma
- Establishing safety
- Integrating knowledge about trauma into practice
- Resisting re-traumatization
- Trauma informed assessment
- Trauma informed treatment
Applications to this course are done online using the link below. If you have any queries, please contact the office on 01 4664205 or call Triona on 086 0499154.
Simply click the below button to be brought to our online application process. When prompted, please select ‘CPD Courses (Long-Term)’, then select ‘CPD 2024 – Trauma Informed Therapy” option that suit you best and complete the form.