Our Certificate Programme is the perfect entry point for those considering a career in counselling and psychotherapy as it contains an excellent mix of theory, skills and personal development. All IICP teaching staff are therapy practitioners, which means they put their teaching into a real-world context.
Upon completion, learners should be able to:
- Demonstrate broad elementary knowledge of two main therapy approaches; Person Centred Therapy and Choice Theory/Reality Therapy;
- Describe the evolution of counselling and psychotherapy from historical to contemporary perspectives;
- Discuss mental illness and its treatment, including modern therapeutic approaches;
- Identify the scope and limitations of counselling and psychotherapy;
- Appreciate basic ethical considerations for working with others;
- Describe the essential components of a therapeutic relationship;
- Engage in simulated practice of basic counselling practice;
- Apply core counselling and psychotherapeutic skills in simulated practice;
- Participate in reflective exercises in one-to-one and group settings;
- Consider the role of the self in the therapeutic relationship;
- Recognise the limitations of one’s own knowledge, skills and competencies; and
- Communicate effectively in academic and practice settings.
This programme is suitable for those either working in the helping professions, or interested in seeking to develop their awareness of what is involved in training as a counsellor/psychotherapist.
- A qualification recognised at level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ) such as the Leaving Certificate is required for entry onto this programme.
- Those with substantial life experience can also apply under our recognition of prior learning and experience policy.
- If English is your second language you are required to submit an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) cert at Level 5.5, or equivalent. For more information please click HERE
Minimum Technological Requirements
You will need to have:
- access to a stable internet connection with a minimum download speed of 1.5 Mbps;
- a desktop computer or laptop that is capable of using zoom;
- a webcam and microphone;
- a web browser; and
- Microsoft Word
The programme consists of two introductory modules in the subjects of Counselling Theory, Counselling Skills and Personal Development. It is a highly interactive programme, delivered through a variety of teaching approaches such as lectures, group discussion, experiential work, individual exercises, and self-directed learning.
Each module carries its own assessment, which is based on a continuous assessment strategy.
Certificate in Counselling & Psychotherapeutic Studies – Summer 2022 Options:
Thursday/Sunday: Starting 17th June 2022
|Friday 17th June
||6pm – 10pm
|Saturday 18th June
||9am – 5pm
|Sunday 19th June
||9am – 5pm
|Friday 15th July
||6pm – 10pm
|Saturday 16th July
||9am – 5pm
|Sunday 17th July
||9am – 5pm
|Friday 19th August
||6pm – 10pm
|Saturday 20th August
||9am – 5pm
|Sunday 21st August
||9am – 5pm
While we have been fully remote during the pandemic, this was due to our adherence to the public health guidelines. We are continuing with online delivery at the present time.
Our online learning classes are run as tutorials, that involve students and their lecturer logging into our online learning platform Moodle and use the online portal Zoom™ simultaneously.
Zoom™ provides and integrative online environment for students and Lecturers to interact and engage in the learning. This platform facilitates discussion polls, sharing of slides, videos resources and much, much more.
To foster more intimate learning environments the use of breakout rooms is also implemented, allowing for the safe and experiential triadic learning practice that we have found so successful.
All of our sessions are accessible through computer and mobile devices and we have a structured and robust technology department to support all faculty and students through their online learning journey. To encourage flexibility, and ss best practice, we also record all our sessions, these are made accessible only to the students in that class to review content whenever is convenient to them!
Student Benefits & Support
As our certificate is conferred at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ), it evidences the rigour required for a quality programme of learning. The dynamic mix of theory, skills, group work, practice and personal development ensures learners grow academically, professionally, personally and interpersonally within frameworks that are on the cutting edge of best practice.
Validation of Award
This Certificate is a Special Purpose Award validated by QQI at level 6 on the NFQ. 20 ECTS Credits
Protection for Enrolled Learners
This programme is covered by arrangements under section 65 (4) of the Qualifications and Quality Assurance (Education and Training) Act 2012 whereby, in the event of IICP College ceasing to provide the programme for any reason, enrolled learners may transfer to a similar programme at another provider, or, in the event that this is not practicable, the fees most recently paid will be refunded. Current PEL arrangements consist of a 2% levy on course fees. IICP do not pass the cost of this on to learners.
Introduction to Psychotherapeutic Studies & Reflexive Practice
This module gives students a broad introduction to the field of counselling and psychotherapy with particular emphasis on five main approaches. It also enhances student learning through a discipline-based approach to supporting learners to engage with, contribute to and benefit from the programme. It does this through focusing on generic skills and competencies required of higher education students, including information literacy and digital capacity, but it does so in a discipline-based environment.
Introduction to Counselling Skills
This module introduces students to a range of core counselling skills and facilitates them to begin to develop these skills. It grounds skills within the theoretical and conceptual frameworks presented in the programme. In particular, it explores the value of empathy, congruence and unconditional positive regard as core conditions of Integrative counselling and psychotherapy. This module introduces students to key considerations when establishing a counselling/therapeutic relationship:
- Opening and closing a session;
- Asking questions to enhance the client’s self-awareness and reflection on their feelings, behaviours and experiences.Students are provided with opportunities to develop a working knowledge of personal and interpersonal skills through experiential learning activities, such as role play, and interpersonal activities, such as triads, discussion and feedback. Core counselling/psychotherapeutic skills, explored include:
- Challenging / contesting
- Awareness of key listening blocks
- Attending to body language, minimal encouragers, intonation, words and cultural considerations.
IICP understand that while partaking in further education is an incredibly rewarding experience it can also be a financial challenge for some students. In order to minimise the financial impact caused to students, IICP strive to keep our course fees as competitive as possible. We also provide payment plan options to facilitate learners paying the balance of their fees throughout the duration of their course.
Year One: Payment Options
(1) Pay in Full before Start of Course
Balance of Fees
€910Before Start of Course
€*1,300 (includes €50 QQI Fee)
(2) Payment Plan Options Available (administration fee incurred*)
- Flexible Payment Options Available. Please Contact the IICP office to find out more!
Bookings operate on a first paid, first secured basis so please book and pay promptly to avoid disappointment
All programmes are run subject to sufficient demand and the formation of a viable class cohort (which shall be determined in the sole discretion of IICP College). A refund of any fees paid will be given to applicants in the event that the programme does not proceed. Fees are not refundable in any other circumstances. Receipts will be made available to you/your organisation on receipt of payment. Please note all fees are due in advance of programme commencement unless you have signed up to a payment plan.
Please note due to the current Covid -19 restrictions, our office team are working remotely. Therefore we would encourage you to apply online for speedy process of your application. Should you have any questions in relation to making your online application please contact Triona on 086-0499154.
Simply click the below button to be brought to our online application process. When prompted, please select ‘Validated & Accredited Courses’, then select ‘Certificate in Counselling & Psychotherapeutic Studies – Summer 2022’ and complete the form.