Child Sexual Abuse is an impactful experience; disruptive to developmental and relational processes in ways that arrest the nervous system within the stress responses and are deleterious to interpersonal relationships (such as within families, friendships, and with intimate partners). Moreover, the intrapersonal effects and psychosocial impacts on the development of trust in oneself and in others can be felt by those affected across their lifespan. Recovery for adults who experienced Sexual Abuse in childhood often contains the rewarding pearls and painful pitfalls that come with trauma and grief work in counselling and psychotherapy. So, do adult survivors tell us they need from Counseling and Psychotherapy in order to help them heal from CSA? This workshop aims to inform participants of the lived experience of the CSA survivor, what they say is helpful in therapy and what is not helpful. Additionally, current mandated reporting implications for therapy and what works to help ensure any rupture is either avoided or identified and managed well will also be addressed.
The course will cover:
- An overview of the adult CSA survivor.
- What clients say works in therapy.
- The therapeutic relationship and attributes of a counsellor working with adult clients of CSA.
- Moral Distress.
- Boundaries and self-care.
- Reflexive Practice.
- Guideposts for resources, including Children First and Mandated Reporting.
- Saturday 6th July 2024, 9:30am – 4:30pm
Who Should Apply:
- This workshop is for mental health practitioners who are working with/interested in working therapeutically with Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
- The college will issue a certificate of attendance to those who take this workshop.
- CPD: 6 hours
- €95.00 (15% Discount for IICP Students/ Alumni and VCS Counsellors)
- This course is part of IICP’s Summer Series and eligible for our 3 for 2 offer so book any two summer series workshops and get a third one free!
- Note: The discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors cannot be used in conjunction with the 3 for 2 offer.
- This workshop will take place onsite in our Tallaght Campus.
Applications to this course are done online using the link below. If you have any queries, please contact the office on 01 4664205 or call Triona on 086 0499154.
Simply click the below button to be brought to our online application process. When prompted, please select ‘Summer Series’, then select ‘SS 2024 July Working with Survivors of Sexual Abuse’ and complete the form.