Current estimates place the LGBT+ population of Ireland between 4%-10%, and it is said that LGBT+ clients are more likely to engage in therapy (McLeod, 2013; McCann & Sharek, 2014). Therefore it is likely as therapists we will eventually find ourselves working with a client from the LGBT+ community. Given this, how do we feel confident that we are meeting the needs of LGBT+ clients? Every culture has its own set of rules, nuances and even language. While we might be interested in understanding the different terminology, sexualities and genders associated with the LGBT+ culture, it is not always easy to ask about another person’s culture without a fear of potentially causing offence.
Areas covered in this course include an introduction to the following topics:
- LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) culture
- Sexual and Gender identities
- Use of pronouns
- Global and Irish public attitudes towards the LGBT+ community
- Issues specific to LGBT+ clients
- What LGBT+ clients want from therapy
- Saturday 26 June 2021, 9:30am – 4:30pm
Who Should Apply:
- This course will be of interest to professionals and volunteers who work, or potentially will work, with LGBT+ clients in counselling or mental health services in general.
- The college will issue a certificate of attendance to those who take this workshop.
- CPD: 6 hours
- €95.00 (15% Discount for IICP Students/ Alumni and VCS Counsellors)
- This course is part of IICP’s Summer Series and eligible for our 3 for 2 offer so book any two summer series workshops and get a third one free!
- Note: The discount for IICP Students / Alumni and VCS Counsellors cannot be used in conjunction with the 3 for 2 offer.
- This workshop will take place online, using a software called Zoom. Participants will be sent a link to join the online platform before the course commences.
Please note due to the current Covid -19 restrictions, our office team are working remotely. Therefore we would encourage you to apply online for speedy process of your application. Should you have any questions in relation to making your online application please contact Triona on 086-0499154.
Simply click the below button to be brought to our online application process. When prompted, please select ‘CPD Short Term’, then select ‘CBT and Anxiety’ and complete the form.